One of the reasons AT&T is the giant corporation it is, and let's be clear, it is giant landing in the top of most profitable companies in the world year after year, is because it agreed to serve rural customers and deliver phone service to everyone who wanted it. Well, now that AT&T has its profits, has invested them heavily in purchasing influence in federal, state, and local governments they are announcing they are done serving rural customers.
Here's a short list of the great things AT&T has brought customers over the years:
- US Ranks 27th in broadband penetration, behind countries like Estonia, Slovenia, and Qatar.
- They've constructed enormous facilities in St. Louis and San Francisco for the purposes of carrying out warrantless wiretaps for the federal government.
- They worked with the FCC to cover-up what is likely the largest accounting scandal in US history.
- They manipulated regulators in order to receive more than $300 billion for the purposes of deploying ultra-high speed fiber optic broadband networks to customers homes, a promise they never intended to keep.
- They exploited the Universal Service Fund to pad their profits while failing to deliver services to rural customers.
The list goes on and on, but you get the idea.