Thursday, March 25, 2010

Folgers Closes KC Plant, Social Media Goes Berzerk

folgers

Yesterday news of Folgers plans to close their Kansas City plant and move it to Nawlins spread quickly across social networks likes Facebook and Twitter.  Even some local blogs jumped in to try and save the plant.

Some of the comments made by those trying to save the plant:

Corey Doss The aroma from the plant is the only thing that makes my commute bearable. If the plant closes, I'm going to have to find a job that's closer to home.... =(

Danielle Graham There are a LOT of cool people that work down there! I've taken some sweet pics of the city at night time from the roof too... It has way to much history in that place!

Holly Njai I grew up in Kansas City and I always loved driving by the Folgers plant. I can't beleive it is closing........I just want to thank all the employees for all their great work. My gramps has always been a Folgers drinker and still is. I wish you all the best.

Tonyskansascity calls for locals to organize and save the plant:

When the purchase went down they promised to keep the KC Plant despite rampant speculation.

NOW THE PLANT IS SLATED TO MOVE TO NEW ORLEANS AND KANSAS CITY WILL LOSE 200 JOBS!!!

Even worse, the smell of coffee downtown will also move with the plant. The move slated for June of 2012 . . . Or sooner. So I'm hoping that locals will perk up and try to offer the company something to reconsider their decision.

Maybe it’s just me, but the best part of wakin' up ... and keeping the plant open, for that matter, is actually buying a f’n cup of Folgers instead of just smelling it on your way to the Starbucks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny about lefties. They would never think about drinking Folgers. Instead its value to them lay in the aroma and visual aesthetics it brought to their little world.

TamedForever said...

My wife and I drink Folger's everyday and support the company. We've never been foo-foo-coffee drinkers or mortgaged our house to buy anything-chinos at one of these coffee shops.

But James is absolutely correct. Buy the damn coffee if you wanted to see it stay!