As we reported last week, Mr. Klein sent the staff of CNN's Lou Dobbs show a cease and desist email over covering President Obama's birth certificate controversy. In the letter Klein made statements claiming CNN researchers had investigated and confirmed President Obama's original vault copy birth certificate was destroyed in 2001 when the state converted to electronic records.
As we first reported, in an October 31, 2008 press release, the director of the Hawaii Department of Health stated she had seen and verified Obama's vault copy birth certificate was on file.
Today the public information office for Hawaii's Department of Health made the following follow-up comments to WND:
"I am not aware of any birth certificate records that have been destroyed by the department," Janice Okubo, public information officer for the Hawaii DOH, told WND. "When the department went electronic in 2001, vital records, whether in paper form or any other form, [were] maintained. We don't destroy records."
"Any records that we had in paper or any other form before 2001 are still in file within the department," she insisted. "We have not destroyed any vital statistics
records that we have."
"I, Dr. Chiyome Fukino, director of the Hawai'i State Department of Health, have seen the original vital records maintained on file by the Hawai'i State Department of Health...," Fukino said in a statement. "I have nothing further to add to this statement or my original statement issued in October 2008, over eight months ago."
It seems we'll just have to keep on waiting for that new era of openness we've been promised.