All the weak and feeble minded plebeians who lack the fortitude to kick their nicotine addictions can all thank our dear leader for making the distasteful act of smoking financially unfeasible. Our dear leader has made this decision for you.
The new SCHIP bill signed into law by President Obama on February 4, 2009 will have the following tax increases levied on cigarettes and other tobacco products:
- Federal tax on cigarettes will increase from 39 cents to $1.01 per pack.
- Federal tax on roll your own tobacco will increase from $1.07 to $24.78 per pound.
- Federal tax on cigars will increase from 4.8 cents to 40 cents per cigar.
- Federal tax on pipe tobacco will increase from $1.09 to $2.81.
- Federal tax on chewing tobacco will increase from 19.5 cents to 50 cents.
Our dear leader has had the foresight to put these new and wonderful taxes into effect on April 1, 2009.
When signing the bill, President Obama had this to say:
“In a decent society, there are certain obligations that are not subject to trade offs or negotiations.”
- President Barack Obama, February 4th, 2009
All hail the dear leader!